The Antibiotic Resistant Gonorrhea That We Should All Be Concerned About
The @WHO (World Health Organization) is reporting a rise in untreatable gonorrhoeae (also spelled as gonorrhea) that is primarily being spread via oral sex. This is uncommon, as gonorrhoeae has typically been spread in the past through vaginal or anal sex. The problem with this new form of gonorrhoeae is that it is UNTREATABLE - even with the strongest antibiotics available. These are the antibiotics they use all else fails, and nothing will treat a patients infection, and even these are not stopping the gonorrhoeae infection in the body. We are coming close to an age of antibiotics becoming useless, and this is due to a variety of factors, mainly the meat industry in the US treating all farm animals with antibiotics so they can make the most money they can without the animals getting sick when placed in such small enclosures and and to make the most profit possible. But, that is a discussion for another time.
You can watch a free 1 hour documentary on the growing problem of Antibiotic Resistance on PBS's website here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/trouble-with-antibiotics/
If you live outside of the USA, you can download a free VPN like Tunnelbear and make your IP address show up in the USA so you can watch the documentary without problems. https://www.tunnelbear.com/
Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, in the case of gonorrhoeae being spread orally the symptoms are, well, horrible. However, you can prevent this by use of condoms or dental dams.
* The World Health Organization: Emergence of multi-drug resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae - Threat of global rise in untreatable sexually transmitted infections - http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/rtis/who_rhr_11_14/en/
* Fact Sheet [PDF] - http://www.mediafire.com/file/48baxasvxj994zy/WHO_Gonorrhoea_Fact_Sheet_English.pdf
Learn more about Gonorrhea
* Planned Parenthood - Gonorrhea https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/stds-hiv-safer-sex/gonorrhea
* WebMD - The Basics: Gonorrhea [VIDEO] http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/video/gonorrhea-std-basics-video & WebMD Gonorrhea Directory: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/gonorrhea-directory
* Centers for Disease Control - Gonorrhea - CDC Fact Sheet: https://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/stdfact-gonorrhea.htm
* STD-GOV.org - THE CLAP (GONORRHEA) https://www.std-gov.org/stds/gonorrhea.htm
You and your partner can also be take a blood test for gonorrhoea prior to engaging in sexual intercourse. There are many sites online that offer low cost blood tests for STDs/STIs. Basically, you purchase the test online with a credit card, and then visit a blood testing center near you and bring the form from the website you purchased it from and printed out. You don't have to make an appointment, you can just find a blood draw center near you, visit it when it is convenient for you, and they will do the draw then and there. They draw the blood, test it, and then email you the results.
Health-tests-direct.com offers a Chlamydia + Gonorrhea blood test through the blood testing company LabCorp for $108. They mention "Lab analysis protocol in particular for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea requires a special "culture" process by the laboratory which can require from 5-8 days to create."
Here is the URL to find out the closest LabCorp blood draw centers nearest to your zip code: https://www.health-tests-direct.com/ordering-page/find-blood-draw-center
I have used Health Tests Direct in the past for getting blood tests (they have many more tests, for example, if you want to save money and not have your doctor do your blood tests for your annual physical, they offer much cheaper prices. Just ask your doctor which tests he wants you to take. You can also get your testosterone levels checked, growth hormone, IGF-1, and many many more.).
Another recommended blood test site is Direct Laboratory Services @ https://www.directlabs.com/. However, their STD Gonorrhea test is much more expensive at $149 and their services aren't available in the following states: MD, NJ, NY and RI.
You can of course shop around for other tests to see if you can find a cheaper one. Here is a link for a search through the private & secure search engine DuckDuckGo so your IP won't be tracked and all your search data will be private: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Gonorrhoeae+blood+test&t=h_&ia=web
And, you can always ask your regular doctor to do the testing for you. It would be beneficial if you are planning on engaging in a long term relationship with someone to have _all_ the STD tests done to make sure you are both free and clean of STDs, but it can be expensive. For example, on Health Tests Direct, if you were to buy all of their STD tests from Quest Diagnostics the total would be $377.47 (along with taxes and a few other fees, if I remember correctly). Quest also lists their HIV/AIDS test as "not offered separately" and I'm not sure what that means. However, there is a toll free number at the bottom of the page or you can contact them via email to ask and find out.
From Health tests direct STD testing page:
"Want to test for STD's anonymously? Have questions we might help answer for you?
Please call us at 1.800.456.4647 x 203 (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST/California Time)"
The total price for testing from Labcorp would be $285.84, so Labcorp is $91.63 less than Quest. So, IMO, the only reason not to do the complete tests from Labcorp would be if they didn't have a testing center in your area. However, Health Tests Direct says on their website that Labcorp has more testing centers around the country than Quest, so that sounds like the best option to me.
However, if you discover a cheaper option for a full STI/STD blood panel screen, please let me know in the comments section below or hit me up on Twitter @pogue25.
Finally, here are some condom and dental dam products you can browse through if you are with a new partner, don't have the money for the testing, or are engaging in casual sex.
Condoms - Lowest prices from Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/2tCbBtK
When buying condoms, it's important to ask your partner if they are allergic to latex or spermicidal jelly. If they are allergic to latex, you can purchase polyurethane condoms (which some people actually prefer): http://amzn.to/2uXznjh or sheepskin/lamb condoms: http://amzn.to/2u5ozmN If they are allergic to spermicidal jelly, simply look for condoms that don't have that ingredient included in them. Spermicidal jelly is mostly included as an added lubricant for vaginal sex between a male and a female which is used to kill the sperm that comes out during ejaculation, as an added protection for the condom which should be catching the ejaculate anyway.
I assume most of you know how to use a condom, but if not, here is some information on them from Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/condom
If you're going to be using the condoms for oral sex, they have flavored condoms in a wide variety of selection and choices, and you will want ones that aren't lubricated: http://amzn.to/2t0TLOY
I would recommend whenever buying condoms for the first time or trying a new brand or type to buy a sampler pack from one brand or manufacturer, trying them out with your partner and deciding on which work best for you both.
You can get some free condoms from certain locations or vendors (if you're in college, often they will have a location where you can get them for free). https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/how-to-get-free-condoms-on-the-internet Also, search Google, and based on where you are located, it will often tell you where you can get free condoms in your city or state.
Dental Dams - Lowest Prices from Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/2tUZHxG
Dental Dams are something I've never used before and have no idea how to apply them or how they work. So, I went on Youtube and found some information about them. Basically, Dental Dams are primarily used for performing oral sex on a women's vagina or for anilingus (eating ass) and not for performing oral sex on an erect penis. A regular condom would be used for that. So, basically a dental dam is a square shaped piece of latex or other material that you place over a woman's vagina or over the anus and lick that area, the dental dam acting as a cover to protect transmission of STDs from the genitals or anus into your mouth. Many people recommend putting some lube on the vagina or anus first and then placing the dental dam over top of it for enhanced pleasure of the person receiving the oral sex.
* SHAG: How to Use a Dental Dam! - https://youtu.be/JNSXkDZYNIw
* Oral Dam Demonstration - https://youtu.be/Z0rdojFa0AE
* The Lesbian Condom Everybody Should Use - https://youtu.be/jpPJF44JkKs
As with condoms, you need to ask your partner if they are allergic to latex, as most dental dams are made with latex (the same with condoms). It appears that most dental dams are flavored for the person performing the oral sex's enjoyment. Some people made the claim that you can use saran wrap in place of a dental dam, as dental dams are a bit pricey. However, saran wraps appear to be too porous to be safely used to prevent STD transfers. According to a site produced by the state government of Idaho:
"If you don’t have a dental dam you can make one out of a male or female condom, latex glove, or non-microwavable Saran Wrap. To make a dental dam out of a condom, simply cut off the tip and cut down one side. To make a dental dam out of a latex glove, cut off the finger and cut down one side. If using Saran™ wrap, it is important that it be non-microwavable because the pores in microwaveable Saran™ wrap are large enough to allow viruses and bacteria to pass through."
However, when I searched the official Johnson & Johnson site, who make the official Saran Wrap brand, they listed only two types: Premium Wrap and Cling Wrap. Both said they can be used in the microwave, so this leaves me more confused than ever. I would just avoid trying to a dental dam out of saran wrap.
* Frankly, we do give a dam: differentiating between dental dams and sex dams: https://gossypiboma.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/frankly-we-do-give-a-dam-differentiating-between-dental-dams-and-sex-dams/ [Article about the use of saran wrap as a dental dam and the lack of studies that has been done on it as a safe sex tool]
Here are some examples of products on Amazon that are true dental dams. They mostly appear to be about $1 per dental dam:
* Sheer GLYDE Dams | 12 Count Assorted Colors/Flavors $13 http://amzn.to/2tZtSmR
* Line One Labs Trust Dental Dam Flavorred 5 Pack $9 http://amzn.to/2t0Kre7
* Lixx Dental Dams - Pack Size - 5 Pack Assorted Flavors $7 http://amzn.to/2uXJynQ
* Trustex Latex Dams Dental Dams Grape Flavor 12 count $13 http://amzn.to/2tZfGtU
These were the only non-latex dental dams I was able to find, and they are made for actual dental procedures, so they might not be ideal for oral sex.
* Smart Dam Dental Dam Non-Latex - Spearmint 6" x 6" Medium Green https://www.net32.com/ec/smart-dam-nonlatex-spearmint-6-x-medium-d-123954 $16.25 + $7.25/shipping
I searched high and low and could not find any other non-latex dental dam. If you know of any or have any luck, PLEASE post down below on the comments section or message me on Twitter @pogue25 or email me http://scr.im/pogue and let me know where they can be purchased and I will add it here. In the mean time, it seems that cutting up a unlubricated polyurethane condom with scissors as demonstrated in some of the videos above and using that as a dental dam may be your best option.
Here is some more information:
* Planned Parenthood - Dental Dams https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-pacific-southwest/blog/dental-dams-unwrapped
* Centers for Disease Control - How To Use A Dental Dam As A Barrier For Oral Sex: https://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/Dental-dam-use.html
* Verywell - How to Make Your Own Dental Dam From a Condom: https://www.verywell.com/how-to-make-a-dental-dam-3133070
* Buzzfeed - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Dental Dams: https://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/what-the-fck-is-up-with-dental-dams
* Planned Parenthood - DIY Dental Dams http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/post/23543641713/diy-dental-dams
If you absolutely need a non-latex dental dam, you might consider calling Planned Parenthood and asking them, since I would guess they are the experts, at 1-800-230-7526 or their contact page for your state or local center here: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/contact-us
As I have been unable to find anywhere online either polyurethane or polyethylene dental dams. I found some sites that claim to make them or maybe used to make them, but are no longer available for whatever reason.
But, stay safe out there. Practice safe sex, get blood tests, and do what you gotta do to be healthy. Antibiotics are coming to an end sooner than we think unless we can get our government to stop using antibiotics in our food supply. Obama was working on this, but it's looking like with Trump as president this will not happen and this is a very dire situation, more important than he or probably most of us realize.
* Belfast Telegraph - Antibiotic resistance 'a time-bomb' http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/antibiotic-resistance-a-timebomb-29121193.html
* BBC News - Antibiotic resistance now 'global threat', WHO warns http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27204988
* The Economist - Antibiotic resistance: The grim prospect. The evolution of pathogens is making many medical problems worse. Time to take drug resistance seriously https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21699115-evolution-pathogens-making-many-medical-problems-worse-time-take-drug-resistance
* BBC News - Antibiotic resistance: World on cusp of 'post-antibiotic era' http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015
* Rise of the Superbug - Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria: Dr. Karl Klose at TEDxSanAntonio: https://youtu.be/ikZQPB45Zbw
* Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria - PBS Frontline: https://youtu.be/gE4VzFz9PPo
* The Rise Of Superbugs Resistant To Antibiotics - Journeyman Pictures: https://youtu.be/cQoTlmB-p2Y
If these grim predictions come true, we will be living in an age much like the what our human ancestors lived through - an age where a simple cut could kill us. There could be no surgery, dental treatment, and many of the things we take for granted would be gone. It would be like the dark ages. We cannot allow this to happen.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-CA] has introduced S.629 - Preventing Antibiotic Resistance Act of 2017. We need to contact our legislators and representatives and ask them to support this bill or a bill like it before it's too late. More information on this bill: https://www.collins.senate.gov/newsroom/collins-feinstein-introduce-bill-combat-antibiotic-resistance
Here is a URL explaining how to contact your representatives: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Email, phone, write, or whatever you can and tell them we must stop feeding livestock antibiotics and save them for ourselves.
Watch this video and share it with your friends:
* Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell: The Antibiotic Apocalypse Explained https://youtu.be/xZbcwi7SfZE
Article sponsored by:
* Check out MediaFire to get up to 10GB of free online space. Share files with friends, back up important files on the cloud! Free apps for Android & iOS! No trial periods, no gimmicks. http://bit.ly/MediaFire-Get10GB-Free
* CoinURL - Share your links on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, SnapChat, Instagram, and elsewhere and make BitCoin, the totally secure and private cryptocurrency that keeps going up in price! No signup fees, just copy and paste links into CoinURL, copy the new link, share it and start making money instantly! http://bit.ly/CoinURL-BTC-LinkShortener